Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Upcycle - Goodie Bags


Another upcycle project: I made these goodie bags for Amelia's 5th party. They are made out of gently used, clean and spot free white t-shirts. The bottom hem of the shirt became the top of the bags. So all I had to do was cut to size, sew the three sides and because the hem made the pocket for the cord all I had to do was cut two small holes and insert the cording. Then I decorated the bags with iron-on Hello Kitty images I made on the computer and filled with goodies. 

It really was quick and easy, plus upcycling three old t-shirts is good for the planet and my pocket book. I can't take the credit for thinking of this great idea, I saw these on etsy.

Upcycling is a component of sustainability in which waste materials are used to provide new products. It is generally a reinvestment in the environment. "Upcycling is the practice of taking something that is disposable or downcycled and transforming it into something of greater use and value." This process allows for the reduction of waste and virgin material use.

The term upcycling was coined by William McDonough and Michael Braungart, authors of Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things.

3 comments:

Audrey said...

Those are really cute!! Great idea - never think to use old t-shirts for crafting.

Living said...

Wow, way more effort than I'd have got from my Mum in terms of goodie bags!

The3Maries said...

Love these!